Thursday 30 January 2020

Feeling utterly refuelled by Folly Farm writing retreat by Tamsin Cooke

A couple of weeks ago, I was very lucky to go to Folly Farm for a long weekend retreat – the Winter Warmer – with other members of the Scattered Author Society. I had been a few years before and absolutely loved it. But I was still rather nervous.  Would it be welcoming? Would it be fun? Would it be inspiring? To anyone who is thinking of going next year, the answers were Yes, Yes and YES!!!


Folly Farm is a truly magical place. Even though there are some people who are lifers – go every year – it’s not cliquey at all. Everyone makes you feel so welcome and you have such a laugh together. I was surprised to find how many people I knew, and it was wonderful reconnecting with them. Plus I made lots of new friends. It’s so lovely spending time with like-minded people who share your hopes, joy and struggles of writing children’s books, as well as love cake and wine.


There was a full programme of events, but what made them extra special – was that they were planned and delivered by the other authors going; other authors who know exactly what it’s like to write. You can dip into these as much as you like, since none are compulsory. As I had edits that I really wanted to work on, I chose certain workshops that I thought would be the most beneficial, relaxing or playful.

There were fabulous sessions on planning, trouble shooting, and story prompts. We had a wonderful meditation that was not only relaxing, but incredibly helpful in connecting with our own creativity. There was a frank discussion on failure and how to deal with it. Plus we created characters and stories from our own histories, made collages and designed a choose your own adventure story. Everyone shared their expertise – not only helpful for our own writing, but also for school visits.


We played games in the evening and had a rather fierce literary quiz – all very funny. And once again, you could join in if you wanted or simply sit back and absorb the atmosphere.

When I returned home and told my family about it, they decided I’d been on a Primary school camp. And they had a point. It was just as joyful as that. It was a lovely reminder of why we write; the pure joy of it, rather than the business side. 

I slept very well. And ate even better! The food was delicious. Folly Farm caters for all dietary requirements, and I think I ate even more than I did at Christmas. Especially cake. As for alcohol - you can take your own booze or buy from the bar. 



If you decide you want to work off some of the cake and puddings, there are fabulous walks around the beautiful grounds. You can go for as short or as long as you like … even longer if you get lost. My group found their way back straight away, but another group may have taken a more scenic route! Apparently this year was muddier than most, but that just made it the more memorable. It was noted how lots of people helped those stuck in the mud while I took pictures!!!


The long weekend went far too quickly and was full of laughter, chatter and creativity. I came away feeling utterly refueled and inspired. So much so, I'd designed a plan for a whole new story, as well as worked out some solutions for my tricksy edits. I recommend this retreat to anyone who wants to reconnect with their joy of writing; who wants to play with words and meet like-minded authors. It was an absolute joy and I might even become one of the lifers!!!

Tamsin Cooke
Author of The Scarlet Files Series and Stunt Double Series
Website: tamsincooke.co.uk
Twitter: @TamsinCooke1 


 

 


4 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Glad you has such a brilliant and inspiring time,Tamsin.

(The Folly Farm retreat is open to anyyone who is a member of the Scattered Authors Society as are other SAS retreats and events.)

Tamsin Cooke said...

Thank you Penny. It was a amazing. X

Tracy Darnton said...

Great to see you there, Tamsin, and share laughs. I'd love to go again next year ...

Tamsin Cooke said...

It was lovely seeing you too, Tracy. I'm hoping to go next year as well. X