Saturday 14 December 2019

21st Century Views in Historical Novels by Lynne Benton


I have written a few historical novels for children, set in, variously, Anglo-Saxon Britain, Roman Britain and World War two Britain, and am currently researching a new book set in Somerset in 1953, and in each of these I came up against similar problems: how to portray the mindset of people, especially children, at the time the book is set, while making it palatable and understandable to the mindset of children growing up today.

My first book, the one set in Anglo-Saxon Britain, was a time-slip adventure,


so the way the Anglo-Saxon children behaved and thought was immediately juxtaposed with the way modern children might behave and think.  So the modern child reader could instantly see the difference.  Time-slips can get round this question quite neatly, but publishers don't always seem to like them, so they tend to go in and out of fashion.

In my three Roman books, however, which are straight historical stories, I was concerned that today’s children would probably be horrified by, for example, the killing of a wolf, whereas in the 4th century it would have been the obvious thing to do if they saw a strange, vicious beast threatening a friend.  Writing the books I had to try to downplay the savagery and violence of the times as far as possible, while doing my best to make it reasonably authentic, even if it gave the impression that, as one writer friend put it to me, “your Romans are a lot kinder than they really were!”  I hope I managed to get round the problem of the Romans being fairly bloodthirsty by making one of the central characters a non-Roman, ie from the Silurian tribe, who didn’t agree with killing, whether at a gladiator fight or in general, while her Roman friend thought it was exciting and necessary.


Similarly, in “Jimmy’s War”, there is an instance of a British plane shooting down an enemy plane.  Someone said, “But don’t you think Jimmy would have thought ‘oh, the poor enemy pilot’”?  I strongly disagreed, because having done my research I knew that at that time most British people, and especially children, were very anti-Hitler and his cronies, and would have cheered on “our” fighter pilot and rejoiced at his downing the enemy.  Children's comics at the time were full of “us and them” stories, when the villains always got their just deserts and were killed in various gory ways.  At that time the general population were not encouraged to feel sorry for the enemy.


The book I am currently working on, though set in the near past, is presenting me with yet another problem.  My story is set in Somerset at the time of the Coronation, and since this is (just) within my own lifetime, I can remember that the prevailing attitude at the time, not long after the war ended, was one of tremendous patriotism for Queen and Country, and one of optimism: the reign of this new young queen could only mean good things for our country.  If there were people around of a republican persuasion they kept very quiet – in my memory everyone was enchanted by the young queen and her handsome husband and her two young children, and wished her well.  People treasured their Coronation mugs (we were all given them at school!) and joined in the street parties, and there was general rejoicing all round.  And although today there are still many people who feel sympathy with and admiration for the Queen herself, there are increasing numbers who sneer at the entire royal family and argue that they are an anachronism these days and that we should become a republic. They complain about how dreadfully they behave and the money they cost us, often egged on by certain newspapers making capital out of every juicy bit of gossip about anyone with a vaguely royal connection.  And of course at the moment, especially, many people are wondering what is the point of the royals at all. Which makes me realise that children today, several of whom may be brought up in homes where the royal family is regularly rubbished, could find the whole concept of the country joining together to rejoice at the coronation quite strange.  

I still haven't quite got my head round this one, but it occurred to me that it's exactly the same problem I had with my earlier books - trying not to transpose 21st century views and opinions on to 4th, 8th and mid-20th century people.  The trouble is, the current royal problem changes daily and is having such repercussions that by the time this blog is published I may have to change the entire plot of my new novel!  Or possibly make the royal connection a subplot instead...


Latest book:












published by Hachette Children's Books

3 comments:

Sue Purkiss said...

It's a very knotty problem... difficult to know how people saw things in past times, but it seems problematic to attribute modern values to people in the past. But maybe it's unavoidable.

Penny Dolan said...

You are so right about trying to get the sense of the time right and what would be the attitudeo of a character alive at the time.

re The mood around Elizabeth II's Coronation: when I visited the Dennis Severs house in Spitalfields, I eventually reached a third floor room depicting a silk-weaver's family's one room lodgin. The place was pitiful with bare boards, one frowsy bed for the family, cooking at a tiny hob on the hearth and hardly anything at all. But at the same time the sound effects on that floor are of the guns firing from the Tower in celebration, and the notes/voice-over describes the mood of joy at the coming of the young Queen Victoria and says there was a sense of joy and hope and a new beginning now the long reign of the Georges had ended. Hope,always hope!

Sheena Wilkinson said...

This is such an important point, and something I really work hard on in my historical novels. Often young readers will comment on how 'harsh' or 'politically incorrect' my characters' views are but I always point out that historical characters aren't just the same as us in longer frocks! They really need to have opinions which suit their period, however uncomfortable this makes us -- and our readers.