Sunday 29 September 2019

10 Deadly Distractions


I like the internet. I like staying in touch with friends; I like the access to information; I like browsing online shops. But when it comes to distracting me from writing, there’s no other competition in sight.

Stuck with a difficult passage, or with absolutely no inspiration at all, the internet beckons me from my work like the sirens calling to Ulysses bound to the mast. Here are 10 questions that can always distract me from the empty page.

1. Has Amelia Earhart been found?



2. What's the difference between raisins, currants & sultanas?

3. How do you convert Centigrade to Fahrenheit?

4. What does 'floccinaucinihilipilification' mean?

5. What are Turks and Caicos?

6. Where are the Islets of Langerhans?

7. Who was B. Traven?


 8. Could Uri Geller really bend spoons?

9. What happens when you type 'about:robots' into the Address bar of the Mozilla Firefox browser?


10. If all the doors and windows were locked in Fatal Attraction, how did Glenn Close get upstairs and into the bath?


(Forgive me if this is all a little off-topic, but I’ve just finished a second draft rewrite of the current WiP and I’m a little punchy. Normal service will be resumed at a later date.)

2 comments:

Andrew Preston said...

10. Wake up man...., you must have some idea of how resourceful a woman can
be when it comes to revenge.

Nick Garlick said...

Of course! I see it now! A beta version of the T1000, she turned herself into mercury, slid through the keyhole and restructured as the avenger. How could I have missed it all these years?