Monday 15 April 2019

Je ne regrette rein - by Rowena House


A year ago, I wrote a blog for lovely Chelley Toy on the five best bits about being a debut author, and the five worst. It wrapped up two weeks of bouncing around social media, celebrating the arrival of The Goose Road.

I’d planned to update that blog here today: twelve months on, my debut year. You’ve seen something similar a zillion times before. But I hit a brick wall almost at once.

Nothing seemed to have changed to warrant an update. The best bits are still great: it’s magic to hear someone say that Angelique’s journey touched their heart; I love being part of our supportive writing community; I’m still thrilled Walker bought into my creation. Oh, and sales were good. Not Sunday Times’ bestseller good, but I didn’t write a dud. Phew.

Re the bad bits, the money still sucks, but even that has lost its edge. Average author earning below minimum wage? Anyone manning the barricades? No? Right you are. Chin up. Here’s ten reasons to be cheerful, instead:           

Stories floating in whatever extraordinary space imagination resides.

A research trip to Paris in the August heat. Familiar cafes, moonlight over the Places des Vosges. A host of characters spied out of the corner of one’s eye…

Lunch with your agent in Soho, chatting about possibilities.

A publicist getting in touch with good news.

Fancy notebooks.

A folder entitled new ideas.

A writer friend phoning out of the blue.

Darling dog noisily licking his chops, hoping more biscuit will fall off your writing desk. Something good to be read.

Time enough to start over again. Touch wood.

In other news, I’ve just written a job application. It took 48 hours and, frankly, isn’t as good as it ought to be for a professional wordsmith. The job isn’t likely to come off, but would be brilliant if it did.

And that’s it really. My debut year. Life moving on, family matters taking precedence, being an author popped on the shelf, just for now, you understand, next to my book, sitting there all proud and pretty.

If the sun were out on this cold, grey April day, I’d probably be making like Tigger even now. In the meantime, as Edith said, Non, je ne regrette rein.

Twitter: @HouseRowena

Website: rowenahouse.com

No comments: