Tuesday 2 October 2018

WALK ON THE WILD SIDE – Dianne Hofmeyr


Tune into your 'wild' side with these animals... not the kind you find on a London street or the UK countryside, but from the brush of an amazing Japanese illustrator. I starting discovering these random images on the Internet and in magazines. Every time I clicked to save one, or tore out a page, I realised they all linked back to one person – Miroco Machiko.

I'm not going to give you her life history... she's very young... very petite... and owns a cat... I'll just put up the images for you to enjoy... such vigour, such freshness, such an aptitude for catching the sense of an animal, the stance of a meerkat, the stripes of a porcupine, the fragility of a butterfly's wing and the pattern of a plant, without copying its exact details ....








 






 

You might be inspired to use some of her techniques for your own painting workshops with children. You might find her cross-eyed, multi-patterned creatures and her madly-coloured plants just a tad too wild... but you can't ignore the sheer joy of her expressive brushstrokes and the rainbow palette that transforms even the most mundane of creatures – into a glorious beast.

www.diannehofmeyr.com
Twitter: @dihofmeyr
Dianne Hofmeyr's newest picture book, TIGER WALK with illustrations by Jesse Hodgson, published by Otter-Barry Books, will be out on 25th October.

3 comments:

Dianne Hofmeyr said...

Right now I'm in brown bear and moose country... wish I had a paintbrush. Never realised how BIG a moose is!

Penny Dolan said...

Such life in these illustrations!

Carol Thompson said...

I LOVE these images Di. Although childlike - very sophisticated.
The mark making and surface patterns are like beautiful textiles - I would wear them!
I'm going to look and see if there are any of her books available - unless you know of any Di?