Saturday 8 September 2018

Breathing space - Keren David


Apologies!  This post is going up a little late. This is because, despite being fully aware all week that Friday was the 7th of September, I had somehow got it into my head that Sunday was the 8th

In other words, I’d accidentally inserted an extra day into my week, a September 7.5, a day in which blog posts would be written, washing would be done and I would have time to breathe and think.

For that’s what gets lost when you combine an office job, a writing life, and a family. Breathing and thinking. Exercise too, is hard to fit in. I’m writing this now hoping I can get it finished and posted in time to go for a walk on Hampstead Heath with my husband.  Reading tends to be done in spurts, mostly on trains. And Netflix? What’s that.

 This worries me because the breathing and thinking, the walking and reading, these things are essential to me as a creative person. But I can’t survive without a salary. And I love my job, which enables me to think creatively in a different way (journalism), work with lovely colleagues, and produce interesting, varied and sometimes important journalism.

On Monday and Tuesday it is the Jewish New Year. I will be in synagogue, reflecting on the year that has past, and looking ahead to the year that is coming. I’m not an especially devout person, and I don’t often grace the synagogue with my presence, but this year, two days of quiet reflection feel like a gift. There’s a lot of cooking to be done tomorrow in preparation, everything will feel hectic until Sunday night, and then – breathe. Think. Rest. And pray. 
Apple and honey -  eaten at Jewish New Year to symbolise a sweet year ahead 


I know that for most of you it’s not the new year. But Happy New Year to all, anyway. May it be a sweet and healthy year ahead.

4 comments:

Ann Turnbull said...

Happy New Year, Keren! The more New Years we celebrate the better.

Anne Booth said...

Happy New Year to you and to your family!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Shanah Tovah!

Rowena House said...

Happy New Year. And wouldn't it be good to have a day 7.5 every week? I bet we all need one.