Wednesday 20 June 2018

From A (around the houses) to Pineapple by Joan Lennon

I'm going to be a mother-in-law!  Not only that, the wedding's going to happen in Jakarta, where my oldest son and my daughter-in-law-to-be now live.

I've been lucky enough to visit them before, and each time I've gone, friends here have said to me, "What an inspiration it's going to be!  You'll get some great writing ideas!"  But the thing is, for me, inspiration doesn't work like that.  It's not an A to B sort of process.  It's more roundabout and eccentrically connected - more A to, I don't know, Pineapple, by way of a google map of Birmingham.  So when amazing, overwhelming, inspiring Indonesia does filter through to my writing, will you be able to tell?  Will I?









Is your road from inspiration to the words more straightforward, or do you, too, meander something chronic?  Let us know!


Joan Lennon's website.
Joan Lennon's blog.
Walking Mountain.

4 comments:

Anne Booth said...

Congratulations and have a lovely time!

Anne Booth said...

Also - my inspiration comes from everywhere - other books, TV, radio, music, a walk down the road, events in my life, a snippet of overheard conversation- your blog post!

Penny Dolan said...

Inspiration also has, imo, a way of sitting back there in the corner of your mind, holding on to "something" for ages, for years - until the time comes when another "something" appears and wants to meet up with it and they "speak".

Joan Lennon said...

Thanks, Anne and Penny - it is indeed a weird and wonderful thing!