Monday 27 November 2017

Something's Got to Give! Lynn Huggins-Cooper




I am currently writing too many books at once - critical mass has occurred...I knew it would happen one day. I'm writing the latest in a series of craft books, a YA novel, and the first in a series of non fiction books with paper engineering at their heart, with all the extra design notes that implies. Then just before the weekend, I was contacted via LinkedIn by a publisher who wants me to write two books for MBA students, as a result of my enterprise teaching. I said yes. Therein lies the rub. As a self employed person (as well as writing, I teach writing and mentor writers; I teach textiles and felting sessions and I run women's business and enterprise courses) I find it hard to say no. Having had times of feast and famine with work, I find it incredibly hard to turn work down, as I am afraid it will dry up, or that the people who I say no to will never offer me work again.

That leads to over work; to days that start at 6.30 am and finish past midnight. I love my work, but I have to change my schedule - especially as I never intend to retire. I am great at giving out advice about work/life balance, but that is hard when your work (writing, textiles) is also what you do for fun. I have lost the of' switch. So, what to do?

Having spoken to writing friends, for those of us with a 'portfolio career,' many are feeling the same pressure. We all need to take action for the sake of our well being. I have decided to try to take a breath and schedule my work with a little more self-care in 2018, building in more 'breathing time' between jobs. I need space to develop ideas and ponder; to compost my writing so it can be the best it can be.

As I was writing this blog entry, I received an mail in response to yet another writing job I enquired about on Friday. The changes I need to make may be a slow process...

4 comments:

Ann Turnbull said...

I had to go and lie down after reading this.

Stroppy Author said...

Absolutely know what you mean. But with the income from each book going down more often than up, saying no to things is hard. Nursery fees and mortgage have to be paid... But DO try to give yourself more time. What I'm trying out is working fewer hours but aiming to get the same amount done, the theory being that I'll be more productive in the hours I do work. We will see if it works, or if I end up living on the street.... Good luck, Lynn!

LynnHC said...

I think that sounds like a plan - I have been streamlining things where possible this year but I'm shattered - so next year I must pace myself more. Good luck with your plan too - now, back to writing about flight...

Jo said...

Glad to hear it....I miss you. Need to follow suit though!