Saturday 3 December 2016

DECEMBER'S AUTHOR by Sharon Tregenza


CORNELIA FUNKE


Cornelia Funke is a German author of Children's fiction. She was born on December 10th, 1958, in Dorsten, North Rhine-Westphalia.





As a child, Cornelia wanted to be an astronaut but went on to study pedagogy at the University of Hamburg. After graduating she worked as a social worker with children from deprived backgrounds. Inspired by the type of stories that appealed to the children she worked with she began with illustrating books, but soon decided to write her own.

Her work is mainly in the fantasy and adventure genres. In the late 1980s and 1990s she established herself with the fantasy-oriented series: Ghosthunters.

Her best-known work is probably the Inkheart trilogy: INKHEART (2003), INKSPELL (2005), and INKDEATH (2008). The stories tell the adventures of teen Meggie Folchart and her father, a bookbinder called Mo, who have the ability to bring book characters into the real world.





On ideas for writing, Cornelia Funke says: "they come from everywhere and nowhere, from outside and inside. I have so many I won't be able to write them down in a lifetime."

On characters: "Mostly they step into my writing room and are so much alive, that I ask myself, where did they come from. Of course, some of them are the result of hard thinking, adding characteristics, manners, etc., but others are alive from the first moment they appear".




Favourite Funke quote: I always wanted to ride a dragon myself, so I decided to do this for a year in my imagination.


sharontregenza@gmail.com
@SharonTregenza







4 comments:

Reine Marie said...

I absolutely LOVED this INKDEATH! This was everything I hoped it would be and more.
I thought the author, Cornelia Funke did a great job of bringing this altogether and "ending" it.

Sharon Tregenza said...

Me too, it's a great series.

Penny Dolan said...

Nice idea, Sharon. Wonder who your January author will be?

Sharon Tregenza said...

Thanks, Penny. I've got ideas for the next few months now. Hope you're well. x