Saturday 25 April 2015

Which Superhero Would YOU Be? by Tamsyn Murray

I don't know about you but I've never really thought of myself as a superhero. I'm more of 'quietly gets on with things' kind of operator rather than the type who single-handedly fights her nemesis and saves the world while looking awesome in skimpy tight clothes and snogging the love interest. And then I organised an inspirational LOVE Writing day at a fancy hotel in Hertfordshire and invited Miranda Dickinson and Julie Cohen along as guest speakers, and they taught me that there's a superhero inside me, inside all of us, struggling to get out.

The idea is simple and comes from this TED talk by Social Psychologist Amy Cuddy, who suggests that 'power posing' for a short amount of time before an important or stressful event can give us the right body language and self-assurance to do better. It can confer self-confidence and an aura of awesomeness. Miranda suggested we find a pose that worked for us - our Superhero Pose - so that we could invoke the power it gives in our everyday lives. And to help us on our way, Miranda made us practise our pose in front of each other.


As you can see, we looked pretty amazing. And the best part was that it actually worked - after thirty seconds of holding the pose of a strong, confident person, I actually felt stronger. So the next time I have something terrifying to say or do, I'm going remember how it felt to channel my inner Supergirl and tell myself I can conquer the fear to stand tall. Or was it Wonder woman? Or maybe just Superwoman? Whatever helps me to stand tall.

Who would you choose to copy in your Superhero pose and why? And don't forget to strike the pose as often as you need to. It's your key to feeling better about yourself and the thing you're about to do. Now...which superhero shall I be today..?

4 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

I have the kids - and teachers - do Hero Poses as part of my Leif Frond talks - if shiny eyes and big smiles are any indication, it works!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Sounds like fun. I think I'd be Superman, because he can spend most of the time as a mild-mannered journalist getting on with everyday life in between sessions of saving the world.

Nick Green said...

I identify with Thor from The Avengers. Hot headed, prone to gaffes and doesn't understand the people around him, but well-meaning for all that.

Nick Green said...

I identify with Thor from The Avengers. Hot headed, prone to gaffes and doesn't understand the people around him, but well-meaning for all that.