Friday 5 December 2014

Favourite Teen/YA Reads of 2014 by Savita Kalhan


In January this year I decided to challenge myself to reading 55 books. I did it through Goodreads to track what I’ve read and when I’ve read it. Some of the books I’ve read have been for ‘work’, some for research and others for sheer pleasure.

My to-be-read pile is always huge and there never seems to be enough time for reading, so doing it this way keeps me on track – the message: you’re x number of books behind is enough to spur me on to make more reading time. Apparently, I’m ‘on track’, with a few weeks to go before December 31st by which time I’ll hopefully have made it to the magic 55 books read mark. Looking back over my list of books read, I thought I’d share some of my favourite teen/YA reads of the year.
 

Buffalo Soldier by Tanya Landman
 
 

The Hob and the Deerman by Pat Walsh

 
 
 
The Case of the Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

Wish Me Dead by Helen Grant

Between Two Seas by Marie-Louise Jensen
The Unicorn Hunter by Che Golden

 
Apache by Tanya Landman

 
 
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
 
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

 
 
 
I’ll stop there or else it’ll end up being a very long list! It also makes me wish I had read more of my to-be-read pile.

I hope you’ll share some of your favourite teen/YA reads of the year in the comments – the more book recommendations I get the bigger my smile! Merry Christmas!
 
Facebook

Twitter


7 comments:

C.J.Busby said...

When I first read this, I thought you'd set yourself the challenge of reading 55 books IN JANUARY!! Bleeding 'eck, I thought (or something along those lines) that's more than a book a day! Relieved to realise it was 55 in a year (but still, good going!)

I'd add:
Cuckoo Song (Frances Hardinge)
The Bone Dragon (Alexia Casale)
Clariel (Garth Nix)

Cecilia

Marie-Louise Jensen said...

Ooh, how lovely that Between Two Seas made the list :)

Savita Kalhan said...

Cecilia, 55 books in January would have been a monumental feat! Thank you for the book recommendations.
Marie-Louise, I loved that book!

Helen said...

Absolutely THRILLED to see Wish Me Dead on your list! xx

DavidKThorpe said...

I've only read one of those, so I will definitely look up some of the others. 55 books is quite an investment of time. On another post it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what made some stand out, and what they have in common, or themes that recur, etc. Other interesting questions that spring to mind are: how many are written in the present tense or from the first person?

Savita Kalhan said...

David, yes it was an investment of time, but mainly enjoyable. Mth sinks for all the questions and I'll definitely try and look at them in anothe blog post.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the book recommendations, i really want to read theirs now. (I'm learning english and could you make a list about books with an 'easy language'?

http://tatideville.blogspot.com/