Monday 3 February 2014

Why Do You Write? - Heather Dyer



I don't find writing easy. Sometimes, when things feel particularly difficult, I wonder why I'm still sitting at the computer getting a bad back when I could be out there living a life. So I wrote a list of the reasons why I think I write.

Why do I write?

To learn what I think.
To preserve beautiful moments or images.
To understand.
To discover truths.
To make children laugh inwardly.
To give children somewhere to go.
For the pleasure of arranging words as precisely as musical notes.
To feel as though I'm revealing a story that pre-exists.
To feel I'm receiving communications from something bigger.
To remember.
To go on an adventure.
To make something that reflects my self.
To contribute something positive.
To make something that goes beyond me.
To make something that lasts after me.

Why do you write?

6 comments:

Sue Purkiss said...

Lovely list. You've included most of my reasons for writing, I think. Will have to ponder on whether there are any more!

DavidKThorpe said...

I write because I can't help it. I've always done it. I get edgy if I go for a few days without writing. I can't imagine not writing, it would be like not knowing music.

C.J.Busby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
catdownunder said...

I write because I must - it's there inside me. I'd like to share it more with other people and I still hope that will happen but, even if it doesn't happen, the characters appear in front of me and demand, "Say this." I'd love to be able to make people laugh and think about the things that matter too. I suppose all I can do is keep trying.
Your list is very impressive!

Heather Dyer said...

Perhaps it all just boils down to 'because I must' in the end. When it's particularly difficult, I consider stopping, but never do...

Dianne Hofmeyr said...

a wonderful list that will help me through the hard times. Writers never retire do they?