Sunday 13 October 2013

Some Of My Favourite Things ....

I often get my writing students to fill in a character profile for their main characters. One of the things I ask them to think about is what their character likes doing most, what their favourite things are. That usually starts us all talking about what our favourite things are. So today I thought I'd write about some of my favourite things.

Reading




Like most writers, I've got hundreds of books. I keep giving them away and then buying more so they never really go down. I read most things, I still love reading children's stories, my favourite at the moment is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. And I love adult suspense stories such as Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and Before I Go To Sleep by S.J.Watson.

Chocolate




Nibbling a bar of chocolate whilst reading a book has got to be the best thing ever. I love all sorts of chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate but I think my favourite is chocolate covered marzipan.

Flowers


I love to have lots of colourful flowers in the garden. Now Winter's coming the garden might be pretty bare but I can still have flowers in the house. Orchids are my favourite. I've got eight orchids so far, here's a picture of one of them.

Playing Music




Playing my CDs while I work always cheers me up in the Winter. So out will come my Sixties collection, the Beatles, Abba and my old time favourite Loretta Lynn. I'll turn up the volume and hum away as I write.


There's lots more pictures of my favourite things on my Pinterest board.

What about you? What are your favourite things?


Karen King writes all sorts of children's books and some grown up ones too. You can see some of the titles on her website at www.karenking.net

7 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

I must admit, I sare most of your avourite things, including Neil Gaiman's children's books(have you read Fortunately, The Milk... yet? The artist draws Neil himself into it as the father) and chocolate - mostly dark, especially with liqueur, and even chocolate coated marzipan, especially a variety called Mozart. And flowers - daffodils in my window boxes. Have to be careful with Abba - I leap up and dance and sing along, which is rather distracting. I prefer Renaissance music, but not dance music while I work, lest I get up and dance a galliard. :)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

The Book Thief is one of my all-time favourite books. I'm quite looking forward to seeing the film version too.

Unknown said...

Hi, Karen, I agree with you about the chocolate, and like you I give books away and then buy another copy!

Denise said...

The Graveyard Book is brilliant! Excellent choice! One of my favourite things is when the weather becomes chilly enough for me to get out and wear my woolly shawl rug. Cosy!

Karen said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. :) Sue I haven't read Fortunately, The Milk.. I must looked out for it.:)

Anonymous said...

Lovely orchids. I have orchids in my room - did you know they grow better in see-through pots? That way their roots can photosynthesis! Yours seems pretty fond of it's mug though...! :)
My favourite chocolate is definitely the advent calendar variety..... hmmmmmmmm

KT

Karen said...

Hi KT,

The orchids are in see-through pots but then I put them inside another pot as I don't think the roots look pretty - probably defeats the object though! And yes, advent calendars are yummy!