Monday 15 October 2012

Writing with the Seasons - Savita Kalhan




I used to always start a new book in the autumn, when nights became longer, trees began to bunker down for winter, and the chill air meant the blanket draped over the back of my writing chair would soon be in use again. While summer died a quick death, one of the ideas percolating on the back burner would burst into life and solidify into a story. I would write solidly every day, sparing little time for my allotment, (well, apart from the big dig and manure spreading!), and it was probably my way of dealing with any Seasonal Affected Disorder because there was simply no time to be SAD. The first draft would be finished early in the New Year with the snow falling all around me, and by the time the yellow daffodils trumpeted the imminent arrival of spring, rereads and edits would be well underway. That was my routine, tried and trusted.

I’m not sure when that changed, but it has, at least for this year. I began writing my current WIP in early summer. With the long school holiday, our holiday away, the allotment bursting with life and craving a lot of attention, the WIP did suffer a bit. It is now autumn and I’m two thirds of the way through the manuscript. Already one of the ideas that has been simmering on that back-burner is begging to jump onto paper, but I will have to make it wait. It is tempting to write just a couple of chapters, let the characters begin to speak, see how the story might work. But I’m resisting the temptation until the current WIP is finished. Or should I resist? Perhaps I should just dip my toes in the story.

It has been a very odd year for me and I don’t think writing ‘out of season’ has helped. Now I feel the pressure (completely self-inflicted of course) to finish this WIP as soon as possible, so that autumn isn’t too far out of the door before I begin the next story.

Do the changing seasons affect anyone else’s writing habits, or am I the only odd one?
 

9 comments:

Catherine Butler said...

I used to try to anchor my books in specific seasons. I started with an autumn book, then went to spring, summer and finally winter. At that point I ran out of seasons and began mixing it, but it was quite a useful way of establishing mood. I don't know if anyone but me noticed I had done it, mind, but that wasn't really the point.

Pippa Goodhart said...

What an interesting idea; that the year's rhymthms somehow work with our writing rhythms. I've never considered it before, but will now try and notice myself to see if I work in seasonal modes. Thank you, Savita.

Penny Dolan said...

I've heard of people who start in January to do their "book a year" but I suppose it depends on your own level of organising - as well as the lives of anyone around you. Mind you, there is something encouraging in what looks like a long empty space ahead.(Did you guess I've just bought myself a 2013 diary?)

Hope you enjoy your new start, Savita, whenever it is.

Savita Kalhan said...

Thank you all for your comments.
Catherine - It's a useful way of establishing mood, dependng on the WIP. I began a book in autumn one year, which was set in summer and I think it worked so well out of sheer longing for summer!
Pippa - Seasonal modes usually work well for me, but I've got to not allow myself to be too thrown when I'm writing 'out of season'.
Penny - Thanks for the reminder -I must get myself a 2013 diary soon. I think my seasonal writing began when my son first started school, which is probably why it's worked well for me.

Sarah Taylor-Fergusson said...

My Christmas present to myself (before I had the boys) was to sit down on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, my back against a radiator, a big mug of tea and a plate of chocolates to hand, and start writing something new. I've lapsed with that in the last three years, but I hope to resurrect the mood of it a little this November, when I take a holiday, and maybe even this Christmas, if I can steal some time to myself then too.

Sue Purkiss said...

I don't have an annual pattern, but it sounds like something worth trying - and it might increase productivity! I have certainly found that there are certain scenes which are much easier to write in the appropriate season - quite tricky to write about a Polish prison camp in the depths of winter, for instance, when there's balmy sunshine or daffodils nodding in a jolly way outside!

Savita Kalhan said...

Sarah - my present to myself some years ago was to start writing again once my son had started school. It was the best present I've ever given myself!
Sue - My annual pattern has definitely helped me stay focussed and committed to a particular time-frame. I recommend it. I know what you mean about writing about summer in the winter. I have occasionally actually gone back and tweaked scenes originally written at a different time of year than they are set in the book, but it hasn't been a major issue.

Sarah Taylor-Fergusson said...

Savita, my eldest has just started school this term, so part of me feels I should be resurrecting the novel. However, I have not been entirely idle. I have switched to writing poems instead. A penny each.

Savita Kalhan said...

Sarah - when I started writing again when my son started at primary school, (after quite a long gap of about five years!)I didn't go back to the epic fantasy, which totalled about five hundred thousand words, but instead turned to contemporary teen/YA fiction where I have stayed, for now...