Thursday 30 August 2012

A Win-Win Situation - Lynne Garner


Anyone who knows me will know I have a passion for British wildlife and one species in particular, the hedgehog. When I'm not teaching, writing, walking the dog, doing the housework etc. I work as part of a small voluntary group called Herts Hogline. This group rescues sick, injured and orphaned hedgehogs. It also aims to educate anyone who wishes to help support their local hedgehog population.

One of my tasks is to use my writing skills to:
  • Write up-dates for our Facebook page
  • Create posts for our blog: The Hedgehog Shed 
  • Craft tweets for our twitter account: follow us @hertshogline 
  • Draft features for magazines and local parish newsletters

What do I get out of this?

Well I'll be honest I'm being very selfish.

Firstly it makes me feel good. I'm putting back; I'm taking part in the 'big community' and helping support a species that is very dear to me.

Secondly, like any athlete a writer has to practice, practice and practice a little more. Writers have to flex that writing muscle and hone their writing skills. So all this writing ensures my writing muscle gets lots of extra exercise.

I view this as a win-win situation. I help them by spreading the word about their work and in the process I'm hoping to become a better writer.

So if you have a passion why not help a small local voluntary organisation by using your writing skills. You never know it may just help you to become a better writer to. 

Lynne Garner
Visit my blog: Fuelled By Hot Chocolate
Interested in all things picture book? Then visit The Picture Book Den
Want to discover great eBooks? Visit Authors Electric

2 comments:

madwippitt said...

I always enjoy reading the updates on your hoglets. And did you win the shed of the year competition? (And if not, why not!!!!)

Lynne Garner said...

Didn't win shed of the year comp sadly as we could really have done with the cash. Think it may have been a charity won last year. Glad you enjoy reading about the hoglets.