Friday 31 October 2008

Saying Goodbye - by Marie-Louise Jensen


I’ve just sent a manuscript to my publisher. It’s a wonderful feeling. That long term project has finally been completed. I’m happy with it. Now I’ve got time at last to clean the house, which sorely needs it. I can catch up on the ironing, which means I’ll be able to open the airing cupboard door without worrying I won’t be able to shut it again. I can relax and spend some time with the kids away from the computer screen.

But after the first delight, I begin to feel the loss. I’ve spent the last 14 months involved with my main character, Thora. She’s been my best friend and constant companion. I’ve been with her through her trials and her joys. We’ve shared tears and smiles and I know all her secret thoughts. I’m really going to miss her.

Of course, we’ll have quite an intensive reunion when I do my rewrites. I’m already looking forward to working with her again. But then it’ll be time to say goodbye. And goodbyes are always sad.

Then, rather like when your best friend leaves your school and you have to start over with someone else, it’ll be time to start getting to know a new character. At first, I won’t feel as comfortable with her. We’ll be sizing each other up and I’ll be thinking, ‘It’s not going to be the same. She’ll never be a friend like Thora.’ But of course she probably will be. We just need to get better acquainted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

writing a book really is like a relationship - libba bray (a great and terrible beauty) has a really funny take on it ... that it's like a lover who you fall in and out of love with as the slog of writing commences. you can read her hilarious post here

Mary Hoffman said...

Congratulations, Marie-Louise. I am at the other end but remember the exhilaration five months ago when I "finished" Troubadour. Of course it had to be edited after that and now awaits copy-ediing but that moment hen you know you can send it off is great. I remember that and have got over the bereavement bit!