Sunday, 22 May 2016

In which I am exercised again about speaker fees - Nicola Morgan

I know, I know. I've I've talked about this before. But it needs to be said again because we all still get too many requests to do things for reduced/no pay. I'm re-posting (edited to speak for all of us rather than just for me) what I said on my own blog the other day, which had an enormous response on Twitter, FB and privately. I was contacted by three newly-published authors who said they really valued my speaking up about it as they've already experienced the deeply demoralising and undermining refusal to pay them for events. 

Although the post is about my own situation, it applies to very many of you, especially the fact that a fee has to account for far more than the time actually spent delivering a talk. I hope it empowers those of you who need support in standing up for our rights, our value and our needs. When you ask to be paid for your time and expertise, you are asking for something entirely proper. People who ask us to work for less need to know what it is they are asking.

Here goes.

This week, I've had NINE TEN eleven invitations to speak at schools or conferences, either to staff, parents or teenagers. Most invitations come with the understanding from the host that I do this for a living and that I'm not a charity. Most organisers are completely fine and respectful when I say what my fee is, even though it may be more than they wish it were! Sometimes, of course, they don't have the budget to manage the fee. I understand that.

But here's the thing: although it's a problem, it can't be mine or any speaker's. I need to explain this and I want to do it in a blogpost because otherwise I spend all day trying to work out how to explain politely in an email to each one.

First, though, some exceptions:
  1. The School Library Association. I will always do reduced-fee events for them! Other authors will probably have their own favourite organisations to make exceptions for.
  2. A local public library. If I'm asked in the right way... For example, Oakham library, a few miles from me, asked me to do an event for them about Reading Well. They asked what my fee would be. I offered to do it for nothing.
  3. Occasionally, as with 2, an organisation gets under my skin. But it hugely depends what it is and how easy the event will be for me to get to. It would need to be specifically related to my work, not a random charity.
  4. Festivals. They have set fees and should offer everyone the same, so, if I accept a festival event, I accept the fee offered. But I can only do very few of these, and the conditions would have to be right. I turned two down this year, not on the basis of fee but on the basis of what they were asking me to do.
I'm not cold-hearted. I'm not greedy. I give a lot of my time to help people in both their work and private lives. Most children's authors do.

So, here is my answer to event organisers asking for reduced/no/too low fees. I know it's a viewpoint shared by very many authors.

I appreciate your budgetary constraints. But I am not on a salary and you (usually) are. This means that for much of the working week, I am not being paid. At all. Including while we have the email conversation in which I explain why my fee is what it is. But I am paying for my working overheads while this is going on. For a freelance of any sort, it would simply not be possible to have paid work every day because then there would be no time for the substantial unpaid tasks which must be done. That is one of the main reasons why freelance rates are higher than employed rates - the money does not all end up in the freelancer's pocket. I've blogged about this and how I set fees before.

Let's look at it in one simple way. My working time is divided into three (unequal) parts. This is common for authors, particularly children's authors and illustrators.
  1. Writing days - for which I'm paid pitiably badly if I make the mistake of thinking how long a book takes to write and then working out an hourly rate based on my average income from a book. (Average annual writing income for writers: £11k. Often we are paid a very few pence for each sale.) Effectively, we're not usually paid to write a book but we are paid if copies sell - which may start two years after we were doing the writing. I often write things that don't end up being published, too, for which I obviously am not paid.
  2. Speaking days - for which I'm usually paid relatively well (but only because of points below.) My usual fees are fair recompense for the energy and expertise.
  3. Admin, business and preparation days - for which I'm not paid at all. Except see the next point.
The only way to make a writing/illustrating career work and allow a creator to survive financially is to minimise the downside of 3. In other words, when we set a fee, we must try to embed into it the actual amount of time this event will take from a working week. So, if I have a ballpark figure that a day is worth, say, £350*, and if your event is going to take me three days, I have to charge you around £1000, plus expenses. Many events will take that long, because I may be away for two days and need at least another day for prep and admin.

And that's not even beginning to think about office overheads, all the insurance, electricity, accountancy, stationery, computers etc etc.

(*Andrew Bibby's reckoner to compare freelance with employed rates shows £346 a day as equivalent to a salary of £32,000. Forgive me if this sounds like a boast but I think my expertise and where I am in my profession put me at a much higher salary than that...)

Let me list reasons why I don't reduce my fees:
  1. Pardon me for saying this but I'm extremely good at what I do. I've been doing it a long time; I've learnt and improved hugely over the years and I've got to the point where I'm 100% confident that you will get brilliant value. Much better value than years ago when I was charging less. Thousands of hours of work have gone into the knowledge that I can now offer. I also spend a lot of time keeping up with new knowledge about the brain and cognition, so that I can deliver top-grade information. I consistently get excellent feedback.
  2. I am lucky that I offer something no one else is offering - a wide range of topics of enormous interest to schools and other organisations, topics including the teenage brain and stress, adolescent mental health, cognitive science, the reading brain and digital distraction issues.
  3. Although I charge decent fees, I am not earning these fees every day or even every week. So, don't think that, if I charge you £1000 for delivering your INSET day, I'm earning £1000 a day! Remember: that day takes three days, usually.
  4. If I reduce my fee for you, I don't think it's fair on those organisations who find the fee by doing sensible things such as charging delegates to attend. (I'm talking about conferences/INSET here.)
  5. If you're being paid, other adults in the room are being paid and you're not taking a pay cut that day, I don't see why I should reduce my income. That demeans me and undervalues me.
  6. Supply and demand: I cannot do this work every day or even every week, partly because otherwise I'd never be able to write and partly because it would simply wreck me. (It is not like teaching, which I've also done. It's perhaps like being on stage, solo, for hours; or it may be something like having your first day in a new job, every day.) Therefore, I limit the number of events I do; therefore I charge more.
  7. I am not, at the end of all this, a high earner. As evidence: I'm not VAT-registered. So, when I say I can't afford to reduce my fees, I'm being honest.
  8. I don't need, as a few people seem to think, a higher profile... Earlier this year a large private school wanted me to do something for NO FEE, on the basis that it would "help you get your name out there". This was an insult and meant that the person had failed to read up about me and discover that. actually, I am an international speaker and have far more invitations than I can say yes to. Again, sorry if that sounds like a boast; I'm simply trying to show you how it is and why suggesting that the event will boost my profile is not the way to get me to reduce my fee! (Occasionally, it really would boost my profile, in which case I would know that myself without you telling me. For example, if you invite me to a huge conference in New York, I might well agree to reduce my fee.)
I'm really genuinely sorry if you'd love me to speak but you can't afford the fee. I'm particularly understanding if you're a school and you want me to speak to pupils, because I realise the budget for this will be less than if it's an INSET day or conference or if you can charge parents a small amount to come to an evening event. But if you are a school planning to organise a conference, for example, and you have a low budget because you've decided not to charge delegates, I would ask: why not? Why should the other schools all get away with sending their staff at no cost and yet the professional speakers, without whom there would be no event, need to be underpaid? Of course, some professional speakers will say yes, for many reasons. They may be salaried, for a start. Or not feel able to say no. Or need the profile... I am genuinely sorry that I can't.

You see, I really value my work, my energy and my time. And so should all professional authors. I also value the organisations who make such an effort to afford fair fees and who work really hard to make the event a success. I want to devote a ton of energy to those organisations which fight to find the fee and which make me feel valued. That way, it becomes a virtuous circle, as I feel empowered and trusted to deliver a great event. And that's what you're more likely to get.

So, if you ask us to reduce our fee, please be really sensitive about how you make that request. Don't forget that we need to earn something vaguely like a living wage. Consider that I've spent my career building up the knowledge I have and practising my speaking technique. And that many others can say the same. Realise that no one works harder than I do to make sure that you get exactly what you ask for and that my attention to the brief you give me is absolutely second to none. 

We're worth it. And if we're not, don't ask us. You don't want a bargain: you want a great event.

No comments: