Monday, 7 December 2015

Finch's Frosty Forty - by Dawn Finch

At the risk of sounding dangerously like Slade – IT’S CHRISTMAAAAS!!! 
Well, almost. I am one of those people who likes to read books that are set in the current season or place. I love a sunny book on the beach, and when I travel I always take fiction from or about my destination. Now we are well into the icy bite of winter and it’s time to dig out those frosty books for cold winter nights. Emma Barnes' superb article about her seasonal favourites set me thinking about all of my favourite books with a wintery chill.

So get those jammies on, fill your hot water bottles and pass the mince pies – it’s time for (deep breath.....)Finch’s Forty Frosty Festive Fiction Favourites (with Felicitations from fabulous Facebook friends)*
*note – please don’t attempt to say that after a few glasses of mulled wine.

These are all slightly longer works of fiction for older readers, teens and young adults – please use your discretion if buying for younger readers, and if in doubt ask a librarian. With only a couple of  exceptions these are all books that I’ve read and enjoyed, please do add your own in the comments so that we can make the list last until the ice melts!

I'm always the librarian at heart, and so these are in alphabetical order of the author's surname.

1. Aiken, Joan – The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
2. Boston, Lucy M – The Children of Green Knowe
3. Carroll, Emma – Frost Hollow Hall
4. Cohn, Rachel and David Levithan – Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares
5. Colfer, Eoin – The Arctic Incident
6. Cooper, Susan – The Dark is Rising
7. Dale, Anna – Whispering to Witches
8. Dickens, Charles – A Christmas Carol
9. Doherty, Berlie – Children of Winter
10. Fisher, Catherine – Snow Walker
11. Gardner, Sally and David Roberts - Tinder
12. Gordon, John – The Giant Under The Snow
13. Haig, Matt – A Boy Called Christmas
14. Hororwitz, Anthony – Point Blanc
15. Jansson, Tove – Moominland Midwinter
16. Lewis, CS – The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
17. London, Jack – Call of the Wild
18. Masefield, John – Box of Delights
19. McCaughrean, Geraldine – The White Darkness
20. Morris, Jackie – East of the Sun, West of the Moon
21. Northrop, Michael – Trapped
22. Pattou, Edith – North Child
23. Paulson, Gary – Brian’s Winter
24. Pratchett, Terry – The Hogfather
25. Pratchett, Terry – Wintersmith
26. Preussler, Otfried – Krabat
27. Priestley, Chris – Dead of Winter
28. Priestley, Chris – The Last of the Spirits
29. Pullman, Philip – Northern Lights
30. Raby,  Lucy Daniel – Nikolai of the North
31. Ransome, Arthur – Winter Holiday
32. Rundell, Katherine – Wolf Wilder
33. Sedgewick, Marcus – Book of Dead Days
34. Sedgewick, Marcus – My Swordhand is Singing
35. Sjon – The Blue Fox
36. Skuse, CJ - Monster
37. Smith, Dodie – 101 Dalmations
38. Steifvater, Maggie – Shiver
39. Streatfeild, Noel – White Boots
40. Wilder, Laura Ingalls Wilder – The Long Winter

Over to you! What would you add to the list? I'd love to see a list of great wintery poetry! Can we make it a Frosty Fifty?

Dawn Finch
Children's author, school librarian and literacy consultant
CILIP President Elect and CWIG National Committee member
New YA book - The Book of Worth out now.
 The Book of Worth


Sue Bursztynski said...

Nice list! I've only read about a dozen of them, but Wolf Wilder is sitting on my review pile, only received recently. Good, is it? Only read a few pages so far.

Well, for me it's summer! And I don't mind reading wintry books on the beach. :-)

Emma Barnes said...

I've just added a couple of these to my Christmas shopping list - notably the Jackie Morris East of the Sun title which looks absolutely gorgeous.

I'm also prompted to go off and reread a few old favourites like One Hundred and One Dalmatians - which I'd never thought of as a winter book before, but of course it is.

Thanks also for linking to my earlier Winter books post. My own winter-inspired book is Wolfie - the illustrations, by the wonderful Emma Chichester Clark, really evoke the spirit of winter for me.

Pippa Goodhart said...

A great list! I want some picture books too, though. How about Sam Usher's wonderful 'Snow'.

Nick Green said...

As I did blog here, once upon a time, I may slip in a mention here of my most recent book, Mythwinter. It's for a younger age than my usual output so not many people seem to have come across it, but for 8 year olds and upwards it's very seasonal... a modern Jack Frost story. (I would have loved to get the Wolfie illustrator on board for that one, Emma!)

Sue Purkiss said...

Great title, Nick! This is a tantalising list, Dawn - lots that are new to me! The Dark Is Rising is always my go-to winter book.

Penny Dolan said...

Ah, picture books. If it hasn't been spoiled by a big supermarket advert, I'd have liked "Mog's Christmas", and also Andersen's "The Snow Queen" as well as Raymond Brigg's book, "Father Christmas", and Debi Gliori's "The Snow Lambs" - and there's a fine, snowy recommendation on Awfully Big Reviews too. Now going off to put on an extra jumper and find a woolly scarf. Brrr!

Emma Barnes said...

The picture book I included on my own post was Jack Ezra Keat's classic "The Snowy Day" - terrific.

Dawn Finch said...

When I was putting the list together I found loads of great picture book lists for wintery books. That's what made me go for older readers. There are some gorgeous picture books for the season.

Lynne Benton said...

Fantastic list, Dawn! Just in case I run out of books to read over Christmas, I shall know where to find your useful suggestions!

Katherine Roberts said...

I do the same, just picked up a copy of Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child at my local charity shop for 20p!

For skiing fans:
'The Snow Gods' by ??? - an epic skiing family saga, published ages ago but I still remember the book so it must have been good.
'War and Piste' by Alex Thomas - humorous Bridget Jones style diary of a chalet girl/rep published recently as an ebook.